This section offers a sampling of the projects we’ve handled. Please click here to view a list of other case studies.
Communication strategy for engineers
Golder is a 57-year-old 8000-strong employee-owned global leader in engineering and environmental consulting with offices in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa.
Absorbing explosive growth in a once small and collegial company, the Calgary office faced trouble communicating the mission, vision, values, direction and expectations to its burgeoning workforce. It also needed guidelines on communicating with other key publics such as shareholders, vendors, and media. Health and safety, culture, quality, mentoring, and quality management were identified as being at risk because of poor or no communication.
As communication leader, Raaj Chandran was tasked with setting up the communication department and evolve the first communication strategy.
- A significant element of change management and audience education was required to alter the negative perception of communication and PR as avoidable overhead expenses. To win support and consensus, he delivered presentations to all divisions and groups.
- He established a baseline of key publics’ perceptions, needs and preferences using quantitative (survey) and qualitative (in-person interviews, focus groups) methods. He reported the research findings to senior management identifying five main objectives.
- He then led the implementation of the multimedia (print, email, Intranet, digital signage, social media) communication strategy.
- A follow-up evaluation three years later revealed strong progress in four of the five priorities identified — with employees better engaged with the organization’s vision and mission; and shareholders and power groups better informed.
- The communication strategy helped drive a mindset change in embedding health and safety, mentoring, quality, and project management into the organizational culture and daily decision-making.
- The demonstrated efficiency and value of the Calgary communication department led to the hiring of communication and media relations professionals in other offices across Canada.
Please click here to view a listing of other project profiles.